Sunday, March 25, 2007

Please answer the following questions and submit them. I need this for my English project, so please send this to as many people as you can.

Is it more socially acceptible for women or men to display characteristics of the opposite gender?



Your gender:
Male
Female

Your age:
15 or younger
16-20
21-35
36-50
51 or older

Is it appropriate for a woman to have a job in which she is a boss over men?
Yes
No

Is it appropriate for women to enter traditionally male fields, such as science or technology?
Yes
No

Would it ever be acceptible to have a female president?
Yes
No

Should there be more opportunities for women to participate in male-dominated sports such as baseball and football?
Yes
No

Should it be socially acceptible for women to not actively pursue physical perfection?
Yes
No

Should all women concern themselves with "girl things" (make-up, clothes, obsessive cleanliness, shopping, boyfriends, etc)?
Yes
No

Is homosexuality acceptible?
Yes
No

Do you enjoy the company of sensitive men?
Yes
No

Should all men concern themselves with "guy things" (hunting, sports, video games, burping contests, etc)?
Yes
No

Is it acceptible for a father to stay at home to care for his children while his wife works?
Yes
No

Should men obsess to keep themselves in top physical condition?
Yes
No

Is it acceptible for men to wear pink?
Yes
No

Should all men know how to sew and cook?
Yes
No



Thank you very much for taking this survey. If the submit button does not work on your computer, please leave your answers in a comment.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... A lot of the terms used ('sensitive man') are somewhat ambiguous and will be interpreted differently by different people. I have known sensitive men who were wise, strong and masculine, (the good father figure type) and sensitive men who were only pretending and deep down were only weak manipulators (clowns from your worst nightmare). When results are tabulated, you will have to take this into account.

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you're talking about, and that's why I hate group projects. I was trying to describe men who empathize with others easily and who often take into account others' views. Unfortunately, my partner opted for the rather cliche vocabulary.

In the end, I don't know how much it will matter. We could even just throw that out. Or we could extrapolate from the different opinions between guys and girls that they have a different definition/perception of "sensitive". If anyone's interested, I'll post the results that I turn in.

Anonymous said...

I'm having comp trouble so I will email you my results later.

However, some of the questions I don't think are yes and no. For example, I am in some senses a male feminist, and I have no problem with gender equality. But at the same time, I understand traditionalism and would prefer roles like a woman who works, but works from the home. It's complicated and somewhat contradictory, I know, but nonetheless it is what I hold.

Furthermore, a lot of terms are nebulous. I mean, i enjoy "guy things" but not in the overpowering masculine sense. I'm stuck in the wrong era.

Anyway...

Unknown said...

I know these aren't particularly good questions, but I'm just trying to get an overall feel for the opinions of the whole area. I know everyone deviates and makes exceptions, but there's also just a general sense that each person has, and I want to see if there are general patterns that evolve from different genders and even different age groups.

I do recall giving examples of guy things, and I know that just with the girl things, there are people who are moderate and people who are extreme and people who can't represent the stereotype at all. What I'm trying to find is people's expectations of what *should* be, hence the word "all".

Anonymous said...

here is what i found out from the ppl i surveyed:
1. m
2. 36-50
3. y
4. y
5. y
6. n
7. y
8. y
9. n
10. y
11. n
12. y
13. n
14. y
15. y

1. m m
2. 16-20 16-20
3. n y
4. n y
5. n y
6. n n
7. y y
8. n y
9. n n
10. n n
11. y y
12. n y
13. n y
14. y y
15. n y

1. m m
2. 16-20 16-20
3. y y
4. y y
5. y n
6. n n
7. y n
8. y y
9. n n
10. y n
11. n y
12. y n
13. n n
14. y n
15. y n

1. f
2. 36-50
3. y
4. y
5. y
6. y
7. y
8. n
9. n
10. y
11. y
12. y
13. n
14. y
15. y

1. f f f f
2. 16-20 16-20 16-20 16-20
3. y y y y
4. y y y y
5. y y y y
6. y y y y
7. y y y y
8. n y y y
9. y y n n
10. y y y y
11. n y y n
12. n y y y
13. n y y y
14. y y y y
15. n y y y