Sunday, September 30, 2007

Questions of the day. Please, please, please respond if you have any thoughts on any of these. I would really like to know, and I'm not allowed to research most of them in the class that generated the questions.

  • Do ADD/ADHD, binlingual patients experience increased pathological language switching, and if so, is this caused by a condition of the cingulate gyrus?
  • What are the advantages and disadvantages of poorly/quickly-functioning cingulate gyri, and is there an instance in which this would be vastly preferred? Furthermore, does a poorly/quickly-functioning cingulate gyrus affect actual and perceived intelligence?
  • How does caffeine affect the cingulate gyrus?
  • What would happen if a person had a strongly-developed caudate and a poorly-developed/quickly-functioning cingulate gyrus?
  • Should one of the distinct differences between Kemtewet and Gertewet be that the former causes abulia (an apparent loss of will or motivation) by effecting lesions in the frontal lobe?
Let me know.

(While writing essay) Stupid cingulate keeps switching on me, throwing in computer programming terms with neurolinguistic studies and Christian identity issues. They're interesting combinations, but I don't think my prof will be too thrilled when she reads about the experiment with the three Boolean variables (properly referred to as a 2 x 2 x 2 analysis, but that doesn't make as much sense).

Please no one ever call me on Sundays; I so lost the good vibe I had for this assignment. The one time I was actually on task for two hours straight, I would have finished in only one more had my cingulate gyrus not been severely activated. It's not used to switching quickly but among languages and plot lines.

For support, he references Crinion et al., whose experiment with bilingual brains shows increased blood flow in the temporal lobe and caudate corresponding to three variables: meaning, input language, and output language.

No comments: