Thursday, April 03, 2008

I will not support the Day of Silence.

I recognize that it has a worthy goal: the cessation of harassment in educational environments. However, its scope is too specific for me to support.

I will not support, enable, or condone the continuation of any gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transexual activities. These behaviors are flat-out wrong according to my beliefs. While I recognize at the very least the futility of arguing that they are unnatural or learned behaviors, I will stand by my position that they are unnecessary, especially in middle and high schools. According to what I believe, no one needs to be engaging in sexual activities in these age groups, and abstinence from any sexual behavior will not harm anyone. The people who tend toward gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transexual activities could choose to abstain, and I believe that is the best course of action for them.

Regardless, I understand the Day of Silence is not about supporting those behaviors. It's about protecting the people. I believe no one can do anything to make them sub-human or to separate them from God's grace. To adhere to that grace, I am mandated to love not only those like me but also those from other cultures, with other believes, and with other habits. In the interest of loving the members of the "LGBT community," I must care for their well-being, physical, mental, and emotional, and therefore strive to end their harassment. The goal of the Day of Silence is this end. However, I believe its emphasis on the LGBT case is misplaced. By all means, include them, but include other groups as more than a side note. Does no one see the racism still active in our country? Does no one hear the stereotyping of the populations of various countries? Does no one note the slander of one political party about another? Will no one fight against the unhealthy images in our culture that lead overweight kids to be made fun of or that bring skinny girls to become anorexic or bolemic?

The pressures degrading the people calling themselves LGBT are wrong, but they are no more or less wrong than those acting against many other people. In all honesty, who hasn't been made fun of? Who hasn't been harassed? It's wrong, but it's not limited to this one population. I applaud the general goal of the Day of Silence, but I won't support it until its emphasis broadens.

As a side note, I don't see what the spread of awareness can accomplish. If you seek an answer from school administrators, you won't accomplish what you seek. Administrators and teachers should have their jobs at stake for condoning any harassment, but they cannot possibly control the acts of other students. There are always empty hallways and unsupervised corners with no present authority. There are always bus rides and bus stops. There is always the neighborhood and the walk home. These are where harassment really occurs: where no one else can see it or stop it. Trust me. I know. You can raise awareness among the student body, among the administration, and among the parents. You can make every person in the world aware of the issue. It won't change anything until the bullies' hearts change. And the parents' hearts change. It won't change anything until you can look around at every person in sight and know that they won't hurt you. It won't change anything until attitudes as a whole change, and that's a tall order. Go, by all means. Change our culture. Teach us to be tolerant of one another. Teach us to love. While you're at it, teach us moderation. Still think it's possible? People are too varied for one approach to work, but universally, all you need to do is change hearts. I don't think the Day of Silence will do anything for that but create resentment, ultimately working against your goal.

No comments: