Wednesday, July 09, 2003

Obviously, the name of this site is "Science Fiction and Me." I chose this for the reason that I am a huge scifi fan. I especially love Star Wars and Stargate and have written fanfics based on both of these.
I'm working on one of them, "Reeses," while I'm here at Slippery Rock. Basically, it's about a girl who became a Tok'ra when she was fourteen and is now living on Earth and finding new hosts for other Tok'ra.

I think scifi, in general, helps people to think outside of the box. It allows authors to put any kind of person in any position for any reason and it's still logical. Because it usually takes place in space, it adds a whole other dimension to writing and movie-making. You can make things as funny or as serious as you want. For example, in the first fanfic I wrote, "Hot Pink," I had the new member of a shipping company (named Baka, which is the Japanese word for idiot) paint the guy's cabin of a small ship hot pink. It's a kind of situational comedy that would probably not be possible in any other genre. Depending on the premise of the work, you could also include more normal jokes. For example, in one episode of Stargate SG-1, Daniel told Jack, "This tastes like chicken."
"That's a bad thing?"
"It's macaroni and cheese."
If you haven't noticed, I love things that are funny. I mean, the best books aren't all jokes; they have serious parts and a serious plot, but they have a lot of jokes, things to laugh at. In fact, for all the things I've written so far (except one), I've named them after the main joke in the book. Hot Pink: Baka painted the guy's cabin hot pink. Reeses: Jack calls one of the Tok'ra (Sarah and Vinnet) Reeses.

No comments: